I keep forgetting things...
Dementia is a condition that affects the brain, causing brain cells to degenerate at a faster rate than normal. It is NOT due to normal ageing. As a result, your mental abilities will decline leading to failing memory, deterioration of intellectual function and personality changes.
Am I having dementia?
Some of the common symptoms include:
- Recent memory loss that affects your daily life
- Difficulty in performing regular daily tasks
- Personality changes
- Changes in mood or behaviour
- Problems with language (not finding the right words or using inappropriate words)
- Disorientation of time and place
- Poor or decreased judgement
- Misplacing things
Why do I get dementia?
There are no known causes of dementia; people with a family history of dementia are only at a slightly increased risk in developing the disease than the general population.