I am confused...
Schizophrenia is an illness that affects the normal functioning of the brain, where your thinking, feelings and behaviours are affected.
Am I having schizophrenia?
Some of the symptoms you may experience include:
Confused thinking and jumbled thoughts that do not link up
• Delusions - fixed false beliefs, theories with no evidence or grounding
• Hallucinations - seeing, hearing, feeling, smelling or tasting something that is not present
• Low motivational levels
If not treated, these symptoms will likely persist or recur.
Why do I develop schizophrenia?
Causes of schizophrenia are not fully understood. However, the development of schizophrenia is often a result of an interaction of factors that include:
• Persons with relatives who have schizophrenia have an increased risk of developing the illness, as compared to the general population.
• An imbalance in the chemicals naturally occurring in the brain.
Environmental factors and stress
• Environmental factors (e.g. distressing life events) and stress are often considered as contributing factors in triggering the illness.